To facilitate communication among its employees, many organizations use the Microsoft Outlook e-mail client. Outlook stores e-mails, calendars, contacts, journals etc in a .pst folder for each profile. Using a USB, CD or any other portable data carrier, you can transfer a .pst file from one machine to another. But it becomes quite vulnerable to corruption when administrators use a network to share a .pst file. It becomes necessary in such cases to perform a PST Recovery in order to access important e-mails and other such data. If you store or share your .pst file over a network, it won’t be supported by Microsoft. You may encounter the following errors as a practical case while accessing your .pst file which was transferred through a network:
“Outlook .pst file cannot be opened”,”cannot start outlook”
Because of which you won’t be able to access any component of your .pst file.
Causes for ‘cannot start Outlook’ errors:
These kinds of errors occur when:
- · Your .pst file has gone corrupt.
- · Or your .pst file could have gotten damaged due to the incompatibility of the software versions on both systems.
If any of the above reasons have lead to a corrupted .pst file, then it becomes necessary for you to perform a pst recovery by repairing the damaged .pst file using Scanpst.exe. Carry out the following steps:
- · Click “Start” from the bottom left corner of your computer screen, and go to “Search”.
- · Click “All files and folders” link and then type scanpst.exe.
- · Select the Search button. You can view the scanpst.exe file from the results after the search completes.
- · Double-click on the scanpst.exe file. You may be asked to browse to the location of the damaged Outlook .pst file.
- · To locate the damaged .pst file, click the Browse button. By following the below given paths, you can also locate the PST file in different operating systems.
- · Hit Start button; the scanpst.exe will then start repairing the corrupt or damaged .pst file. Start Outlook after the completion of process, and you will see all the recovered folders. Create a new .pst file as the next step and use the recovered folders.
The Inbox Repair Tool cannot always help you with damaged .pst file recovery, sometimes you will have to rely on 3rd party .pst recovery software. Ciao!